Friday, January 7, 2011

Jodi Picoult Books

I want to post something everyday this year that I love, but it's already the 7th so I'm a little behind... I'll have to post a few things a day until I catch up!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of my posts are in no particular order, I'll just post them as I think of them. The first thing I love is...

Jodi Picoult Books.

They're the best! I could sit down and read one of her books cover to cover. I've already finished eleven of her books. Right now I'm working on "Keeping Faith," but I keep picking right before I go to bed to read and I always fall asleep right after reading a page or two. I think I'll make it a goal to finish it by the end of the weekend...

Mariah finds her husband with another woman for the second time in their marriage. He files for divorce and gives her full custody of their child, Faith, who develops an imaginary friend. When her mother takes her to see a therapist, she is told that her daughter may be seeing God. Faith receives a lot of media attention for different things that happen to her throughout the book. Amid these events, she receives attention from a teleathiest named Ian Fletcher, who also causes all sorts of problems.
If you've never read a Jodi Picoult book, I suggest you start with "Nineteen Minutes." It's my favorite book of hers so far. 

It starts with a shooting in a small high school. After the shooting, the town's residents must not only seek justice in order to begin healing, but also come to terms with the role they played in the tragedy. Joise, the teenage daughter of the judge sitting on the case, could be the state's best witness, but she cannot remember what happened.

I promise that you will not be able to put the book down. It's so emotionally charged and well written. I read it in Arizona over spring break last year and I don't think I put it down once. She does a really good job of developing all the characters and making you care about all of them!

Another one of my favorites is "My Sister's Keepers", but don't compare it to the movie... it's completely different, and the book is a lot better. I haven't even seen it myself, but people told me about it and it's not the same. I always prefer the book over the movie anyways, so maybe I'm biased. 

My other favorites are "The Pact" and "Vanishing Acts."  The only book I didn't care for was "Handle With Care." If you did like, let me know! Maybe I just need to reread it, but I really didn't like the ending. Although I do think that you should read it and decide for yourself!

I've read every book except 
- House Rules
- Wonder Woman
- Perfect Match
- Mercy
- Harvesting the Heart
- Songs of the Humpback Whale

Which one should I read next?
 
What's your favorite Jodi Picoult book? 

Check out her website at jodipicoult.com

<3Love,
Sarah D

1 comment:

  1. Controversial topics in life are typically the following: religion, divorce, and even the media, so why is it that Jodi Picoult can take those subjects and write a novel that captures your heart? Basically, she takes the innocence of a child and uses it to portray it in a way that you can't complain about. Keeping Faith will have you wondering about things you never would believe could happen, such as stigmata and a resurrection.

    ReplyDelete